Hey Princess! For my first proper Princess Guide post I wanted to write about a self care activity that is hopefully super accessible to everyone. I love films so much and whilst my choices aren't always super princess-like (I love a vampire film!) they very often are. I have so many recommendations so this is just episode 1. I'll give recommendations based on the vibe you'd like for your movie night.
Princess Self-Care: Why a Movie Night
Movie nights are an easy thing to implement into your self care routine and they're obviously super visual and immersive, so if you want to escape into a pretty picture and a good story for a couple of hours, they're the perfect choice. They can also be great inspiration! Maybe you pick up wardrobe tips from your favourite character, or maybe the hero(ine) of the story inspires you to be kinder, braver, more spontaneous (etc. etc.). If you have a couple of subscription services on the go it can also be a cheaper hobby. Emphasis on can be. We'll get onto that next...
I suggest pairing your movie night with a bit of pampering or mindfulness! Maybe put on a face mask or paint your nails while you watch. Sometimes I bring out my fairytale themed colouring book and my pastel colouring pencils and do a bit of colouring while the movie plays (this is best for rewatches or if you habitually scroll through movies).
Something that will make you feel princessy is brewing a tasty cup of tea in your cutest mug! My drink of choice at the moment is Bird and Blend's Gingerbread Chai in my fave pink mug (usually a My Melody mug). A little treat platter is ideal too, I'll suggest some movie snacks as we go.
How/Where to Watch
A distinctly un-princessy feeling is the discovery that the film you wanted to watch so badly has moved from a streaming subscription that you have, to one you don't, or is now only available to rent. Renting on Youtube or Prime isn't too expensive but it can add up, and what if you want to watch your fave film again! This had really started to get on my nerves at one point, and I knew I needed another solution. I wanted to own my favourite media forever! So, I turned to DVDs.
One of my biggest wishes as a child was to own one of these:
![]() |
| a disney princess tv!!! |
Honestly? I still want one. But they're hard to come by in the UK and often overpriced for what they are. Instead I bought myself the cutest pink tv from 2009, second hand on eBay. It was about £50, and it was a great purchase in my opinion. I've been meaning to bedazzle it for ages now.
If this isn't available to you but you'd still like to start collecting DVD's I'd suggest buying a DVD player that can connect to your TV or laptop (I bought an external drive for my PC years ago and it was less than £15, you can find reliable software for your laptop like the VLC player if need be to run this, but do your own research just in case certain things are not good for your set up).
Once you have something that can play DVDs a world of cheap movies will open up to you. You can find people selling their DVD collections for £1 a DVD on Vinted and get a good bundle deal on shipping. I've also used Music Magpie in the past for this. However, the most rewarding way to build your collection is to go out and try to find them secondhand in charity/thrift shops, or shops like CEX (or an equivalent shop in your area). The other week I did this, and came away with 11 dvd's for £8!
If you don't have loads of space for dvd boxes, buy a dvd wallet for your finds! Mine is in pink (obviously). To keep yourself from over-collecting or getting overwhelmed, make a ISO list for yourself, so you know exactly what titles to look for when shopping. I keep mine on letterboxd.
i'll also make sure to put where my recs are currently streaming in my region (UK), but that changes so frequently, and I'll not update them tbh! letterboxd is also great for checking streaming options in your region. But seriously, DVDs, trust me!
anyway rant over, onto the films!
For the Prettiest Princess Vibes
Marie Antoinette (2006)
![]() |
Runtime: 2hrs 3min
Currently streaming: Netflix (UK)
Marie Antoinette is a fantastic film that was totally misunderstood and underrated when it hit theatres in 2006. Famously it was booed at Cannes! When I first gave it a go about 8 years ago, I was apprehensive. I'd heard it was a great princessy film, but I'd also heard it was vapid and dull. I spent the entire runtime staring wide eyed in wonder that I'd never seen this incredible film before. It instantly became my all time favourite. It is a total visual feast, but it isn't vapid by any means. If it happens to be your first time watching it, do not go in expecting a retelling of Marie Antoinette's life grounded in utter historical accuracy. Instead, the film is an artistic exploration of Marie Antoinette's life through the lens of a coming of age story. After all, she was only 14 when she came to Versailles and married Louis-Auguste, and it is these earliest years that the film spends most of its runtime exploring.
I recommend pairing this film with a glass of something bubbly, and/or a cup of jasmine or rose tea. For your movie snack, macarons or a pretty French pastry would be the most ideal pairing. The film will leave you craving sweets, trust me.
For a Classic Princess Vibe
Roman Holiday (1953)
Runtime: 1hr 58mins
Currently streaming: Paramount+ (UK)
Roman Holiday was the breakout role that propelled the iconic Audrey Hepburn into stardom and won her an Oscar. It's a really sweet and romantic film about a very bored Princess who escapes her duties while visiting Rome, and is taken under the wing of a journalist who shows her the city while secretly hoping to get a major story out of the encounter. It's a black and white film, and there's something inherently princessy about a black and white film starring Audrey Hepburn anyway, but in this film she literally is one!
I recommend pairing this film with some Sicilian lemonade and a simple bruschetta recipe, and/or some really nice ice cream.
For Major Fairytale Vibes
Stardust (2007)
Runtime: 2hr 7min
Currently Streaming: Paramount+ (UK)
Stardust is an enchanting fairytale that I tend to find people have either never heard of or have seen and are crazy about. If follows the tale of a young man from our world who crosses over into a realm of magic in search of a fallen star, who turns out to be a young woman who many people are searching for. It's super romantic and fun and just has the perfect fairytale vibe. There are loads of films that would fit this vibe that I'll talk about in the future, but this is my favourite.
I recommend pairing this film with your cosiest tea blend and a grazing board of sweets and fruit!
For Rom Com Vibes
The Princess Diaries (2001)
Runtime: 1hr 51mins
Currently streaming: Disney+ (this will be true for pretty much every region)
This film is a childhood staple for many. Romance isn't its primary focus, but I'm still classing it as a rom com for this lists purposes as it very much gives the same vibe as other 2000s rom coms. This is one that I would be surprised if anyone hadn't seen, but if it's been a while, I swear it stands up and is a fun watch regardless of age. Also, a very iconic makeover scene, which will always win me over. There are a couple more princessy recommendations for this vibe, but this one immediately springs to mind. As a note, this one is super easy to find second hand in DVD format.
This one I think requires classic sleepover movie snacks so marshmallows, m&ms and popcorn. Pair with a supper over the top hot chocolate and your comfiest PJs, and line up the sequel for a longer movie night! (I desperately need to rewatch the second film)
For Childhood Nostalgia
Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses (2006)
Runtime: 1hr 22mins
Streaming: Free on Youtube via the official Barbie channel
There were so many options for this category. I felt it had to be animated, which most any of the Disney Princess films would lend themselves to. However, I feel that if you were deep in the world of Princesses as a kid in the 2000s you were also in love with the animated Barbie movies. Everyone has their precious favourite Barbie movie, but this is mine. Visually I think it holds up (some of them are a little ugly lets be honest) and the story is just the perfect fairytale. The music is absolutely magical, I love Genevieve and all her sisters, the villain scared me as a kid and the romance is really sweet. Definitely a good shout.
For this films snacks I would go for the prettiest cupcakes you can find and your favourite floral tea!
Final thoughts
Princess Movie Nights definitely has a lot of mileage as a series, and i have many more recommendations. I'm often watching or rewatching things on my pink TV so i'll probably post a couple of reviews too. If you have any recommendations or want to share your fave Princessy watch, please share! I'm always looking for new ideas.
Until next time, live happily ever after!
xoxo

.png)




I recently started rewatching my fav Barbie movies from my childhood before going to sleep and I've never been at peace like this before~ rewatched barbie princess charm school yesterday and I loveddd it <33
ReplyDelete