![]() |
| the Princess Guide's official autumn moodboard* |
Hi Princess!
I'm not sure about you, but the weather where I live has been beginning to look increasingly autumnal as of late. In a way I'm kind of sad, I wanted to have the most mermaid princess summer possible, but that was probably unrealistic given I live in a colder climate. I really should be grateful too, I know that for most this hasn't been the case and that things have been getting uncomfortably if not worryingly hot in some areas. Whether or not the weather is starting to turn to autumn, I definitely noticed that many people seem to be really excited for autumn/fall, so much so that they're getting into the spirit of it already! I'm definitely there with them, especially with all the rain my corner of the world has seen recently.
In the past I've struggled a bit more with autumn, it felt like it just didn't fit my vibe as easily as the other seasons. Sometimes it seems like autumn is the only season where pink disappears from the mood boards of many, and who can blame them? It can be much harder to fit it in. I love the tuscan aesthetic that has become popular recently, but it doesn't speak to me or my wardrobe. Also, with the weather getting worse, the nights getting longer and all the pretty flowers and trees dying away, it can feel kind of sad. In the past I've really struggled to know what to do with myself. I feel like most princess movies and books are set in the spring, so it can be hard to envision how to bring Princess vibes with you into the colder months.
You shouldn't have to totally change your vibes for every season, you should always be true to you! That's why I've come up with this guide to having the most girly, princessy autumn, no matter what!
For this first instalment, we'll be talking about autumnal activities that are perfect for princesses! The plan was to put all parts into 1 post but... it got a little lengthy, so it's a series now! Whoops!
Activities
Baking
I think anything with cinnamon is ideal for autumn, and cinnamon buns/rolls are a really good option for autumn. Most recipes for this will use yeast, however, so it might be best to wait until you've tried a few simpler recipes before giving these a go. If you're new to baking, this could be a really fun thing to build up to over autumn! If you're an avid baker, why not make a baking bucket list for autumn, you could plan to make 2 things a month, or even 1 thing a week, especially if you have people to share your creations with.
Go into nature
I know that some countries and regions don't get weather in autumn that's too distinctly different to their springs or even summers. Where I live? It get's sharply colder, windier and much MUCH rainier! When this happens it can be tempting to halt outdoorsy habits you might have picked up over summer. But don't do it!!! Unless it is hailing, storming flash flooding, gale force winds, etc. I encourage you to get outside! Invest in good clothing for rainy/windy weather (doesn't have to be cute, though I understand and associate with the preference) and go into nature. Today it was raining quite heavily, but my partner and I still took ourselves out and did our little weekly walk in the woods. The route we chose had good tree coverage, so this is a good option for days where you need a little extra shelter. Look locally for spots of beauty or historical significance that you might not know about. People are always quite harsh on the town I live in, but it has some really beautiful spots to visit and walk around! If you'd like somewhere with a bit of shelter, may I suggest that it'd be super princessy to find a castle with nice grounds not too far from you (sorry to non-european friends) and visit it before it closes for the cold season. If this isn't realistic for you, especially if you live in an urban area, see if you can find a nice park that maybe has a cafe you could dash into if the weather turns too nasty. Get to know your local wildlife! Learn to identify trees, mushrooms and birds in all seasons. The best way to do this is to go experience nature first hand. At the very least, buy or make a coffee and take it for a walk.Embracing back to school vibes
This time of year is associated with back to school for many of us, whether that's your current reality or previous. For me it is literally back to school, so I try and use autumn as the perfect time to romanticise academia and motivate myself for the semester. My uni campus looks so perfect in the autumn! Autumn study sessions in a cosy cafe or library while the rain falls outside are just ideal. Assigned reading + a pumpkin spiced latte... I cannot wait to be honest.Even if this isn't your reality, embrace autumn as a time for learning and reading anyway. It's a very Princessy thing to do! Imagine Belle in her beautiful library, or Princess Annelise pouring over her science books, channel those vibes. Ideally we'd all have a grand library like these princesses do, but unfortunately that's rare. Even my uni library is frightfully modern and sadly lacking in bookcases with those ladders you can slide along. Still, we have options. I love putting an ambience video on in the background, ideally on a screen I can see, and using those to help imagine I'm in the fairytale library of my dreams. Here's the barbie inspired one I listened to while writing this! This whole youtube account is filled with Barbie inspired ambience videos that are also AI free.
If you're not a student at the moment, make a reading list to work through. It can be non-fiction or fiction. I suggest theming your list around a specific subject/genre and using it to familiarise yourself with it a bit. If you are a student, make sure to make time for yourself too. Read for fun as well as for school!Cosy Movie/TV Show Nights
Around this time of year, many people turn to horror films in the lead up to Halloween, something I definitely do myself. But sometimes I want something with a girlier/more princessy vibe and honestly? It's not super easy to find things that fit that vibe while still feeling in the spirit of autumn. However, I have suggestions!
We'll start with shows. First of all, if you want something girly and great for Halloween, you need to give Scream Queens a try/rewatch. Chanel Oberlin has a very princessy closet, if not a pleasant attitude. It's campy and not really scary in anyway (but often rather gruesome, be warned) so it's a great option if you aren't into being majorly scared. If you want something girly for autumn, Gilmore Girls is the classic choice. If I'm being so honest, it took me a while to get into, but it is a very cosy vibe. This year I'm planning on watching Pretty Little Liars for fall as I know it's a favourite of many girl bloggers for fall, and I've never seen it! The Vampire Diaries is another good option for the spookier season. I haven't watched all of Charmed but this is also a good option if to you, autumn is the season of the witch.
Leading on from that, Practical Magic is a great witchy movie, specifically to watch in the transitionl period between summer and autumn. Personally I watch it at the end of August almost every year. Hocus Pocus is also a great witchy option, and leads me to my proposal for princessy options in the fall: 'dark' fairytales. This allows you to lean into the horror side of things while still staying in a realm of whimsy that lends itself to Princess vibes. My major suggestion here is Pan's Labyrinth, which is actually a little scary in places (the pale man?! omg!). This year I want to get round to watching The Ugly Stepsister, but I know this contains some serious body horror, which might not be suitable viewing for everyone. Black Swan is a film I've seen categorised as a 'dark fairytale', empahsis on dark, definitely a horror, but much beloved by many girlboggers (definitely advise you check trigger warnings for this one if totally unfamiliar with the premise). If fairytales sound good to you, but not dark ones, A little Princess is an option suitable for pretty much all ages that I think works perfectly for autumn. I also think Beauty and the Beast would be a great option, especially come November time, in the period between autumn and winter. Lastly, I've been meaning to rewatch Penelope for the longest time, I can't remember if it's any good, but I remember it being fairly autumnal.Honestly I think I could go on but I reckon this is enough to work with for now. Please add any further recs in the comments! For your movie night, pair with an autumnal treat, for example: cinnamon popcorn, s'mores, hot chocolate or a chai latte. Pop on some fairy lights and light a pumpkin scented candle (other autumnal scents are available). Keep the lighting low and cosy, and snuggle up in bed or under a blanket on the sofa. Enjoy!
Final thoughts
Can you BELIEVE that I thought I'd keep this guide to one post?! What a joke. ANYWAY. One thing I want to mention is that I think many of us feel constant pressure to always be doing something to make the most of the season. I often fall into this trap. Life is so busy, the seasons rush by us. The best way to observe autumn, perhaps, is simply by doing just that; taking a moment to look at it. It's so beautiful to watch the world change as it gets ready to go to sleep for the year. Keep an eye on that change. Make a point of looking at the trees out your window, on your commute or regular walks (get into nature, promise me you will!!!), or even observe how everyone's cold weather wear begins to make its way out of the wardrobe, as people don cosy jackets, hats and scarves. Practice a little gratitude. To quote Anne Shirley, a lover of princesses herself, "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped from September to November, wouldn't it? Look at these maple branches. Don't they give you a thrill--several thrills? I'm going to decorate my room with them. " Go into autumn with as much of this attitude as you can, and you're sure to enjoy it like a princess.
If you got this far, your attention span is perfectly fine, and thank you so much for reading.
Until next time, live happily ever after!
xoxo







No comments:
Post a Comment